Monday's with Mom..... Cranberry Sauce


Cranberries...do you prefer from a can or homemade? 

It seems everyone has their favorite, and canned usually get bashed for being too jelly like and phony. My family has always preferred the canned though, including me!

But my mom usually made her own cranberry sauce for the holidays...she very seldom bought it from a can. (I didn't even know it came in a can for many years...LOL!)  I used to love to watch her make it. I liked to see the cranberries pop, and the bright red color was always so appealing. It looked so good, and smelled so good, but was always way TOO tart for me. I filled up on turkey and stuffing instead!
 But it wasn't Thanksgiving if mom didn't make it and I saw it sitting on the dining room table. She always had a lace tablecloth, and the red looked beautiful on the white lace. The dish was crystal, with a pedestal...so they looked pretty fancy to me!

This year as I was scrolling through recipes for the holidays, I found her recipe for cranberries. So I made a batch, and now as an adult, I can say I really LOVE them! Not too tart anymore, just right. I love the hint of orange, it adds such a bright, delicious flavor.

I wonder what my family will say? I plan to have a can on hand... just in case!!!


Cranberry Sauce

12 oz. bag fresh cranberries
1 c. sugar
1 c. orange juice

Combine all in a sauce pan and cook about 10 minutes until cranberries burst and pop. Sauce will thicken as it cools.






No comments: